Monday, March 24, 2014

Terra Tenebrosa Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We are currently rehearsing for the upcoming european tour and also laying down tracks for the next album. We have recorded three songs so far.


2.You have a new album coming out in April, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction of the new recording and also how does it differ  from your previous releases and the stuff you have done with Breach?

Actually it is just an EP containing leftovers from both the tunnels and the purging. The track from the tunnels sessions have appeared on a compilation album a couple of years ago but we thought it too good to not be properly released. The track from the purging sessions is a 18 min long track that we just couldn´t fit in on the purging and we didn´t want to throw it away. We wanted to start off the new album with a clean slate.

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?

The same as always. The exploration of the dark territories within, those obscured and supressed parts of the psyche where one can find both ugly things and treasures to be dragged out into the light. That has been the main subject on both releases and also for the band as a whole. Our masks being symbols for archetypes rising out of the unconscious.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Terra Tenebrosa'?

I found the name in a book, cant recall which one though, might have been from dantes inferno or maybe a book on dr faustus. It was on a map of hell anyway. I like the ring of it and also for me denotes the dark worlds within.


5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

We had a really great time when we opened up for Neurosis on a few dates last year but then we couldn´t really do the ”show” we wanted to do. We were headlining a minifestival in stockholm recently and I think that was our best performance yet. Live we have to focus more on the faster songs and leave out the more monotonous ones. There is so much going on on the album with all the samples and stuff so we have to distill it down to the essentials. Its easier with the more straightforward songs.

6.DO you have any touring or show plans for the future?

We are going on a two week tour with the old wind. A band featuring other members from breach.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of metal and other forms of underground music?

Overall I think the feedback has been good. I didn´t expect this kind of attention when starting out. Those who appreciate it really appreciate it and those who dont at least gives us credit for doing something different I think.

8.The new recording is coming out on Apocaplexy Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Its a vinyl only label. Co-released the tunnels and the purging with trust no one recordings. Dont know what to say. Run by a really nice guy.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
The new material is a bit more violent, focusing more on intensity than the trance inducing stuff we have been experimenting with. We are experimenting more with different tunings and different instruments. But tomorrow I might want to take things in a different direction. It is how its been with the other albums. We never really know what the end result will be until we are chosing what material goes on the album.

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

          As for influences I have to say everything we´ve ever listened to. We never set out to sound like a specific band. Of course one might find traces of sludge and black metal and whatever but we never set out to play a certain style. We listen to everything from jazz to bm. When I write material for TT I try to translate certain emotions and thoughts into music, often dark emotions. Also a big inspiration is the drama you get in classical music.
I listen a lot to God seed right now. And I cant wait for Lord Mantis to release their new album.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

I guess the main theme in our music, the exploration of the psyche and the soul is somewhat occult. Personally I´m interested in the occult. I read a lot about different magickal traditions. To some extent I practice what you could call shamanism. I´m into exploring the soul in different ways, be it by fasting, meditating or other means. And that rubs off on TT.

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I´m pretty busy all the time working full time, raising a son and keeping this project alive but when I do have spare time I meditate, read, and I try to be out in nature as much as I can. I have a cabin in the archipelago I try to go to whenever I can.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You. I loved the rhetoric and really enjoy the dark aspects of this phenomenal band who bows to no one interest save their own. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete