Thanks for the opportunity and the nice questions, please check out our musci at: toscrew.bandcamp.com
1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?Sűd: So we are Toscrew, formed in Budapest in 2004. Started with some cover songs, and we've recorded our first demo in 2007 with our own songs. Since that we've recorded a six-track Ep, a Bathory tribute song and a full-lenght album (Antiego 2011) which was nominated for as the best debutant album in 2011 in Hungary. After that we've decided to change a little bit, so we invited Pete from the band called Philosopher (also death metal) as a singer/guitarist for making something new. Now we're calling ourselves as a doom metal band with some influences. On the other side we tour around central Europe, we've been to Slovenia/Slovakia/Poland/Romania/Ukraine/Austria/Germany and some other countries are planned. All of our materials are free to download from our site: toscrew.bandcamp.com. Please feel free to do it.
2. I have noticed that the new ep has a more different direction than the older material, what was the decision behind the style change?Sűd: yeah, we wanted to do something different, because the black/death underground is really poor at Hungary, we can't talk about a scene even. By the way we got really good reviews for the album Antiego, we wanted to facing new challanges, so that's behind our decision.
3. How would you describe the lyrical content of the newer material and how do you feel that you have progressed as song writers over the years?Pete:
The lyrical content is pretty diverse. A part of it is just personal stuff, whatever I felt at the moment I wrote it. The other part has a bit of social commentary and "Pete's words of wisdom". Some of them are really easy to "digest" and the message is quite clear (Answer me) and sometimes I get more philosophical (Crawl), where the good part is, that it probably means a bit different to all the people, but makes everyone think. And if you think about it, you use your brain at least for a little while, and my job is pretty much done there :)4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?Sűd: There's nothing special with our name, we used to be friends before we started the band, and this was our "band name", so we kept it. It symbols our unity.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?Our newest and best experience is Poland, Just arrived home, and the people really liked us, they're really into this kind of music. But we loved Austria, Slovenia, Romania and Ukraine also, love to travel+meet new people+have gig and party. :) Our stage performance is really simple but heavy as hell, headbanging all the time and shit.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?Sűd: For this time we only accept invitations for really important and cool gigs, so we're planning to visit some new places (for example Prague/Czech) and return to the best places where we've ever been to.
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?Sűd: Actually we have a label, which is entitleted Five by five records from Canada, they're developing really quick! So hopefully they can provide us soon with everything what a band could ever wish.
8. Are there any other projects besides this band or is this a full time line line-up?Pete: I have several other projects (where I play different instruments). One band could not possibly cover my huge musical appetite. :D But the most serious ones are Toscrew and Philosopher (progressive death metal). As far as I know the guys has no other project going on right now, I'm the one who's persuing the pleasures :D9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?Pete: Most probably we'll stick to this doom kind of stuff because that's what we enjoy doing at the moment. And feedbacks are mostly really positive, so that ensures us that we're going to the right direction.
Sűd: Agreed! :)
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?Originally we're all into Death metal i can say, so mainly we listens death metal bands. Our all-time favorite is Pantera i must say. My personal favorite is nowadays are: Ghost, Candlemass, Mastodon, Red Fang, Djerv, Sahg, Satyricon, Triptykon and Kypck.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?Pete is living for the music, making it, recording it and so on. Mátyás (bass) is intrested in making movies, writing, Sűd (guitar) is into reading, networking and traveling and Dávid (drums) likes everything what we're doing, he is a nihilist/hedonist. :)
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
For contact: firstname.lastname@example.org