1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
We are a bunch of guys from Riga with a passion for metal. The band exists since 2007, but we only came around to releasing our first album now. The album is called "Holy Wrath", I guess it could tell more about us than I could in a couple of short sentences.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
We don't try to achieve a certain sound, we just put together whatever we like and then see if we all like the result. We've been described as a mixture of sludge, doom and old school death off course, sounds about right. It's nice to catch the listeners off guard with a thrashy track like Pyromania after a doomy track like Sinner. But the way we see it there's more death metal than anything else in our sound.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Many of our lyrics touch the topic of religion in one way or another, trying to show the lies, foolishness and ugliness of these barbaric institutions. In others we try to explore the human nature and flaws.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Our guitarist made it up. It's a secret, there is no real meaning behind the word. It doesn't exist in any language known to us. But it sounds nice.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
It's hard to pick out one, every shown is a different experience. We get out there and give it our best, the rest depends on the audience. But we hope they enjoy it as much as we do.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
There will definitely be some concerts in our home and in the neighboring countries, we'd gladly play all around the globe, but we'll have to wait and see how everything turns out.
7. On a worldwide level how has your music been received by fans of underground metal?
We haven't heard any negative comments yet.
8. Are there any other projects besides this band or is this a full time line-up?
Yes, some of the members have other projects that don't fall into the same musical category as Diseim. For example our bass guitarist plays reggae and the drummer has and art-rock project. But Diseim is the main project for all of us.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
We'll keep doing what we like and see what becomes of it, I guess.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
All of us have different musical preferences. There are different bands and styles that influenced each of us individually. And there's probably no single band or style that influences all of us.
I'm listening to Exodus and Napalm Death at the moment, but my all time favorites are Akercocke and Behemoth. -Sergejs
11. What role does Occultism play in the music?
No role at all, actually. Or rather we use it as an example, a metaphor to describe the idea that lies beneath, what really is important.
12. How would you describe the metal scene in your home country of Latvia?
It's quite diverse. It doesn't get as much fresh blood as it used to, though. With the rising popularity of new “metal” genres most youngsters chose them in favor of the good old death/doom/black/etc. metal. Despite that there still is a number of great bands definitely worth listening to.
13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
In my case it's IT and scribbling with the pencil. -Sergejs
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
We'd like to thank you for the interview and the readers for getting this far.