1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?
-Νοt a lot of things..After the release of Egocentric album,we recorded some new songs in 2006 for our next album..but unfortunately we could not find a good label to release it..so we decided to make a break until last year when we had a new contract with Sleaszy Rider rec..so we decided to restart the band..
2. In October you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
-I think that we continue to be an atmospheric metal band but after so many years we try to offer something new in every new stuff we record..This is the biggest difference from our past..
3. This is the first album to be released in 12 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?
-Not so many things..We never stop to write new songs but we release something only when we feel that will be something good..We prefer to speak through our music only..
4. Also the album is a lot more heavier than your last few albums, what was the decision behind bringing back some of your roots?
-After “Egocentric” album we felt that we don t sound like a metal band..Don t forget that our roots are always to classic atmospheric death metal bands like:CELESTIAL SEASON,BEYOND DAWN,old THE GATHERING and ANATHEMA..So I think that was a good decision.
5. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
-As always we speak about solitude,melancholy.fear and darkness..
6. Originally the band was known as 'Paralysis' then 'Phlebotmy', what was the decision behind the name changes and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'On Thorns I Lay'?
-When we started we liked to play brutal death metal with some atmesheric parts..The reason of name change to ON THORNS I LAY was that we didn’t
want to have a similar name with our favourite band PHLEBOTOMISED..
7. What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
-With Katatonia in Greece,with Tiamat in Turkey and with Dream Theater in Rockwave festival..Our stage performance is atmospheric as we like to be..
8. Do you have nay touring or show plans for the future?
-No.We don t have plans for touring..maybe some gigs in the future..
9. The new album was released on 'Sleaszy Rider Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
-Sleaszy Rider is a very good Greek label with a lot of releases every year and good distribution worldwide.
10. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of metal?
-I really don t know…It s something that we never thing about it..We just play the music we like and this is enough for us.
11. Are any of the band members in any other bands or musical projects these days?
-Only our drummer Fotis..to Sorrowful Winds
12. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
-We don t make future plans..but our next 8th album is almost ready and I sounds like Orama..
13. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
- Nowdays I like bands like Dead Congregation,Swallow of the Sun,Ulver .Draconian etc..About our influences,I told you before..
14. What are some of your non musical interests?
- I travel a lot…also movie films,read books and Theater..
15. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for interview..Support ON THORNS I LAY and atmospheric metal..Dream and love forever..