Thursday, September 1, 2016

Harri Kauppinen Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your solo project?

A: Hi there mates, i'm a singer-songwriter from Finland releasing my debut album at 30th September.

Earlier i was a singer of the dark-metal band called Beyond The Dream. When we decided to end that band it was right time for me to explore some new ways to do my music and wrap my emotions.

I'd buy my first acoustic guitar few years back and that led me to do music the way you can hear on my upcoming album. There is still a darkness in those songs but they are covered up with fragile singer-songwriter style, like a folk singer doing heavy songs, y know!

2.You have your first solo album coming out in September, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

A: Humanity and uniqueness. Those were the production guidelines when the album was in the "making -phase". We tried to capture the feeling by taking long takes when recording, and i'm quite sure that you can hear that. And hopefully you can enjoy that too.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

A : The lyrics are poetic version of mans every day life. There is no need to write down every detail from your basic day, 'cause that is just too boring. But when you color the things a little bit and but them into your musical world the words grow into their places.

Let's take an example, the song called "Maa palaa". The lyrics are basicly about the frustration about the day-to-day traditions, go to work - do your job - pay your bills...etc. that is how you get yourself into the choking fog and don't know how to get out. The story is written like the story about the Phoenix-bird, burn yourself out and rise again, stronger than before.


4.What are some of the things are able to do with your solo project that you where not able to do with your previous bands?

A: That's simple, to do things exactly how i want to. If i want to play acoustic guitar little bit off key to make it sound disturbing, i am able to do that, heh.

5.Do you have any live shows planned for the future?

A: At the moment, no. First, i like to know how people will receive my music and there is still many things open about playing live, am i doing it solo, duo or with a band...


6.The album is coming out on 'Concorde Music Company', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

A: The Concorde Music Company is for artist who are willing to invest to their own release. The label is offering help for production, distributing and marketing.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of the darker styles of metal?

A: There haven't been so much feedback yet, 'cause the release is not out, except the promos. The Maa palaa-single and other previews have received quite good feedback, surprisingly good actually. I'm playing around with quite hazard elements when i'm making my music, but that is just interesting to me. And of course, i'm happy if it's interesting for someone else too.


8.Are you also involved with any other musical projects these days?

A: Musical projects, no, but i do write lyrics, and help recordings, for others bands when asked. I don't need another musical project or a band to interrupt me. This arrangement let me focus 100% on my own music.


9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

A: I hope that i'm able to explore deeper into my music and see what it has to offer. When i've found the new paths in this gloomy-musical creation, then it is time for the new album. When it is? I really don't know yet.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

A: Nowadays i do listen a lot of dark-doom metal and Finnish folk-singers and of course they will effect my music. But there is still "a number one band" for me and it is Cradle of Filth, even i've been not so thrilled about their few latest albums. That band has been a main influence for me since i was a kid and started to play music.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?

A: The basic answer, movies and books. Even i do not read enough and that's a little shame. I watch movies alot, maybe cause it's easier...that is a lame excuse, i have to make myself to read more!


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

A: There is a wolf inside every man. The wolf that is ready to kill the weaker one.
Tame that beast down and check out my debut album, out 30.9.2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment