Thursday, February 8, 2018

Affasia Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Jason: We are a dark, atmospheric metal act out of Richmond, Virginia.
Noah: Don't know if you'll like Affasia until you try Affasia.

2.You have an EP coming out in February, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Jason: Our music pulls from our various influences over the years, which includes many musical genres such as death/doom, prog, post-punk, darkwave, classical, etc.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Noah: This seems to be my area of expertise. I'm not sure why. I would say there is some personal experiences that inspire my lyrics for Affasia but it is more about creating imagery. Topics vary from loss, longing, remorse (obviously) regret, elation, substance abuse (legal or non), mortality, loyalty, relationships, nature and the human spirit and heart.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Affasia'?

Noah: When I found Jason and then cosongwriter David Waltenbaugh they had a good bit of material worked up that is on this EP so it had a very specific sound/feel. We wanted a name that fit the vibe of the music. To be honest, if you can think of it, any single word in English is already a band name. And most two word combos are bands as well. There are millions of them. We didn't want to fight a royalty battle and really just wanted something original that worked. I found the old Welsh spelling of the term Aphasia. Aphasia is loss of ability to understand or express speech, caused by brain damage. And the old Welsh spelling Affasia just had the right ring to it. Like a musical note.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Jason: Being able to share the stage with our good friends in Grethor and LORD were definitely the most fun for us so far.

Noah: I have to agree with Jason that those were the most enjoyable shows we've had so far. It was pretty awesome to share the stage with Intronaut at Strange Matter in Richmond a couple of years back. Not the best show for us but it was still memorable.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the ep is released?

Nick: Nothing in particular is set up or in the works at this time. I’m sure we will find time to play a show or two before long, but our focus right now is on writing new material.

Jason: We are currently working on solidifying a full live lineup at the moment for future shows.

7.The ep is coming out on 'Transcending Records', are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?

Nick: Yes, very much so. We’ve only been with the label a very short time but already feel very loyal to them. We feel like we’re part of one big family that is working together to meet a goal. A goal of selling records, ha. But they’ve been very friendly and helpful and we look forward to continuing to work with them.

Jason: Mike and the team at Transcending have been amazing to work with and we are very grateful for the opportunity to be apart of such a great group.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric, dark, doom and death metal?

Jason: We are awaiting more input after the official release, but have been thrilled with the response thus far.

Nick: There was some guy on a Russian download site that said something to the effect of “there are some bright moments, but overall a complete failure”. But everyone else I’ve heard from seems to love what we’re doing. In particular, the response from other musicians that have listened has been very encouraging

Noah: Just to piggyback on what Nick said, he didn't provide any reason to why it was a failure, so who knows. I found it quite hilarious and typical of online Trolls. It won't appeal to everyone. We hope to carve out our own little niche. Where that lies remains to be seen.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Jason: We are currently working on new music for a future release, and are very much looking forward to writing with new member additions soon as well, as we continue to evolve as a band.

Nick: We have talked a lot about playing around with song structures and mixing things up a bit. Also I think we will be incorporating more post-punk and darkwave elements into our sound. The metal will still very much be present but I think our non-metal influences will start to show themselves a lot more.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Jason: I have always been influenced a great deal by bands such as Katatonia, Swallow the Sun, Anathema, Type O Negative and Saturnus over the years. I also tend to pull from more post-punk, darkwave, goth rock elements at times, having grown up listening to that as well. The Cure has always been an inspiration for me personally too. Some albums currently in my playlist are:
The Agnes Circle - Some Vague Desire
Advent Sorrow - As All Light Leaves Her
Grethor - Damnatio Memoriae
Winter Severity Index - Human Taxonomy
Hanging Garden - I Am Become

Nick: The Cure is a huge influence in my writing, particularly Simon Gallup. The man does things with a bass that are just... so simple but so damn effective. Other big influences would be Martin Mendez from Opeth and Freddy from this little band from DC called Juniper Lane that I got really big into when I was younger. I’m currently listening to a lot of bands like Junius, Port Noir, Caligula’s Horse, Vulture Industries, Leprous, Chelsea Wolfe, 2:54, Earth Electric, and Obiymy Doschu.

Noah: I have older and more recent influences and everything in between. Ealy: The Cure, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, The Smiths, Type O Negative, Danzig, Faith No More, Tool, Morbid Angel, Testament, even some classic/prog rock. I had a bit of a 90s industrial phase that I still enjoy from time to time. Mid to current: Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Les Desrets, Swallow The Sun, Leprous, Kauan, Earthside, In The Silence, Vaskula, Voyager, Ikuinen Kaamos, In Vain, Ulver, Daylight Dies, The Foreshadowing, October Tide, Soen, Wilderun, Klone, I could go on and on. Ha!

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Jason: More recently I've really gotten into a lot of Netflix shows, especially the German series DARK. I highly recommend it, it's something that sticks with you well after watching. Also, shows like The OA, Black Mirror, and being a huge Marvel nerd, obviously all those shows as well, and the MCU films. Outside of that, I've always been a big Doctor Who and Game of Thrones fan, and of course the Lord of the Rings movies were big for me.

Nick: Star Wars. I watch the movies, the TV shows, read the books, everything. I just can’t get enough. Aside from that I’m mostly into video games. I can’t speak highly enough about my Nintendo Switch. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are getting a lot of playtime from me. And I am playing Skyrim again for like the 5th time. But now I can play it on the toilet, how cool is that?

Noah: I have zero non musical interests. Na. Instead of talking about me why don't I tell you the other guy's real interests. Jason is a total softie for animals but especially canines. Nick loves gaming and great film, almost as much as he loves the culinary arts.
Me, I'm a dog lover, they're a part of my family and family is everything for me. Especially my amazing wife. I very much enjoy the outdoors, hiking, fishing, canoeing. I game some, read a lot. I love film, I believe it can be the ultimate culmination of the visual/audio and physical arts. I get into the culinary arts a bit myself. But most of all, if I have a choice music is always a part of my ongoing life experience. It's always playing around me and in my head. Can't breathe without it. Ha!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Jason: I really hope people enjoy and identify with this EP, as much as we did when creating it.
Noah: I'll be happy with half as much as I enjoy the result. Ha. Cheers. 
https://www.facebook.com/affasiaband/
http://www.transcendingrecords.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment