1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1. We are Mist Of Nihil a melodic death/doom metal band from Athens, Greece. The band started when 5 different people, who shared the same passion for music, gathered together on July 2013.
2.Recently you have released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the new recording?
2. It's dark ambient. We like to transfer a feeling of impending doom, sorrow and vanity through our music, so that the listener can feel the dark atmosphere of both the melodic parts and the heavier mid tempo death/doom outbreaks.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. We mainly focus on themes like sorrow, self-integration, corruption of the human soul, nature and darkness. In the next album we are thinking of adding a more story-like structure, even adding a main character of some kind, walking the path of the lyrical themes described above.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mist Of Nihil'?
4. Well, “nihil” translates as “nothing” or “the nothingness”. We like to consider it as a force capable of both good and evil deeds. Now think of the mist as a shroud covering our real selves. The final outcome of this fusion is yours to understand.
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. We have played several live shows so far but we think the best show was Greek W:O:A Metal Battle finals where we participated. It was a hell of a show with a big crowd so, it was certainly a great experience for us and we enjoyed it to the fullest. When we are on stage, we try to give everything we have, so that the final outcome will be even better than the studio version of our songs. We believe that a band’s true potential is shown on stage rather on a recorded album, so we give it our best shot in order to entertain the audience and make them enjoy the show through our performance.
6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. We are planning to play as many live shows as possible, so that we can promote our music and gain even more on-stage experience. At the same time we compose and rehearse our new tracks, so that soon enough we can have a full length album in our hands. And this is when the fun starts.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of melodic death metal and doom?
7. The feedback has been very encouraging so far and it seems that people like what we are trying to do and appreciate our efforts. It seems like there is a crowd in every country, eager to discover bands of this musical genre, even if they are on the other side of the world. The internet has been really helpful in achieving that.
8.Recently Senseless Life, re-issued the demo, do you feel they have done a lot of help when it comes to getting your music out there heard?
8. Yes their help was really important for us! These guys are professionals and they always try to do their best for the bands they are working with.
9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9. Right now we are working on the new songs for the full album and considering the fact that they are almost ready we will possibly enter the studio this fall. Now, on the music direction, we will surely stay true to the melodic death/doom path but we will always try to evolve so that with every new album we present a different point of view than the previous one.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. There are many bands that have influenced our music, but mostly we share a common passion for bands like Opeth, Insomnium, Daylight dies, Belakor, Dark Tranquility, Ghost Brigade and Swallow The Sun. The milestone for all the band members is surely melodic death metal, but other than that, each one of us has a different way of seeing things so our taste in music differs from member to member.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. We like hanging out, drinking beer, going to concerts, playing D&D, video games and some of the taller band members like sports, like basketball. A book is always the best alternative, and unfortunately we share an interest in politics and economics, as the unstable political and economical conditions of Greece are well known.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. As written also in the booklet of “Buried Laments”, we would like to thank every single one who has helped us in this journey because without them many things wouldn't be possible. And of course we would like to thank everyone who supports our music and believes in us. Have a good night. Cheers!