Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Confrontation Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the band?
We are Confrontation, a doom/death project based in the western part of the Netherlands. Started by me (Sven Post) begin 2014 as a one man studio project without any plans. I was hanging with my good friend Roy of Funeral Whore (where I also did some session and studio work before) and we were listening to some music we individually working on, Roy was immediately siked about this project so we discussed the concept and right after that he came with lyrics. We are both interested in WW2 so searching for a concept was not a big deal and Confrontation became more serious as I had planned. 

2.Recently you have released your first ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
We are both inspired by old Swedish death metal and I am also a big doom fan. Swedish death with slow doom riffs works really well,  two of my favourite styles combined so it felt really natural for me. Massive, low tuned and slow, but with the right groove.

3.The ep was a 20 minute concept based on the last 2 years of WWII, can you tell us a little bit more about your song lyrics?
Well, we are actually talking about the weapons mostly the Germans were using during the war. We are not talking about the death, we are talking about what brings the death. Can you imagine how it is if you hear the recognizable sound of the v1 bomb (the Fieseler Fi 103) and you know that it will devastate everything around you and you know there are coming more? This kind of weapons are the most brutal in its kind, because there is almost no way to protect yourself against such brutality. The p.1000 Ratte is a different story. It was a prototype of a tank that was bigger than the biggest tank exist. No one wants to confront such big piece of iron that is built to be a undestructable killing machine. At last there was exhaustion, it is not really a weapon, but exhaustion is one of the most frightening way to die, because it takes time. This war goes beyond genocide so it is a good subject to write about.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Confrontation'? 
Such weapons like the V1 bomb or the P.1000 Ratte (which we choose as subject on the Fieseler EP) are quite confrontated right? That is where the name came from.

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?  
For the records I am quite sure it stays just us. It works so much faster. I can write and record when I want without discuss the songs with other musicians. Also, Roy is someone I fully trust. If he say something he will do it immediately. I don't have to wait for him. He is someone that I can build on, he comes with great ideas and he knows exactly what he is doing.

6.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project? 
We haven't done any live shows yet because  it's just a project. It is possible that we are going to do some shows in the future, but only if that are interesting shows to do, with good underground bands. If we do this project live, we will do it with the whole entourage on stage like visuals etcetera. It must be dark and intense, I want to play a impressive set. Also we must rehearse with session members before we hit the stage, so it can take some time.

7.According to the fb page page you are looking for a label to release the ep on vinyl, have you had or received any label interest?
Yes, a Polish label named "Kampf records" will release the Fieseler EP on pro-tape within 2 months, limited to 111 copies. They had working with Funeral Whore before with the full length called 'Step into Damnation' so we know they are good guys with professional tapes. For vinyl we are still searching.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom and death metal?
I get a lot positive feedback. I get emails from all over the world to tell me this project is great, and i see a lot people that are sharing the Fieseler EP on social media such as facebook etc. I never expect that. Also I must admit the death metal scene, and especially the old school are people that are really dedicated to the music. No scene is so strong and loyal as the death metal scene.

9.What is going on with the other musical projects or bands that the band members are a part of these days? 
I have a three piece band (called Post), a stoner rock band heavy influenced by the seventies with good friends and the best musicians I know. We are just finished with recording our second album. Roy is really busy with his old school death metal band 'Funeral Whore', one of the best and hardest working band in the Dutch underground scene if I might say that
10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I am almost finished with writing the full length for Confrontation so within now and 2 months or so I will record the drums, bass and guitars. Roy is the man behind the lyrics, he is much more creative with lyrics than I am so he is doing his thing. There are so many weapons and methods they used during WW2 to write about, that we stay with the concept WW2.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 
Bands such as old Entombed, early Grave (the 'Into the Grave and You''ll Never See era), Entrails, Incarceration, Smothered, Entrapment and Massive Assault are some  favourites here. Nowadays I listen also a lot obscure and depressive bands like Dispersed Ashes, Abigail Williams and Coldworld. I am also a big classic rock fan. Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Led Zeppelin are the bands that brought me into music.

12.What are some of your non musical interests? 
Nothing, I live for music. I don't like sport, I don't watch television (besides a good movie) or documentary The only interest I have besides music are my family; my wife and son. I am quite a gear freak and i am often busy with collecting guitar, amp or recording gear, I don't have time for other crap.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for your time and interest in Confrontation. You can follow us athttp://www.Facebook.com/confrontationhm2

No comments:

Post a Comment